Bix Restored Volume 5 is an addendum to the acclaimed Bix Restored series that featured meticulous restoration of every recording on which cornetist Bix Beiderbecke played.
The highlight of this volume is three newly discovered alternate takes of recordings featuring Beiderbecke: one by Paul Whiteman’s orchestra and two by Frankie Trumbauer’s orchestra, one of which, “Futuristic Rhythm,” contains the best and most significant new solo by Bix to be discovered in nearly three decades.The rest of the CD is filled with the reverberations of Bix’s influence on his contemporaries between 1927 and 1939. On this CD, you will hear the work of well-known horn men like Jimmy McPartland and Bobby Hackett, as well as more obscure disciples such as Andy Secrest and Stirling Bose. Also included are other performers such as Bing Crosby, Benny Goodman and Red Norvo, showing that Bix’s influence was not limited to cornetists and trumpeters.
The package also features a new essay on Bix’s influence by renowned author, Bix scholar and cornetist Richard M. Sudhalter.
“Highly recommended, this release perfectly wraps up Sunbeam’s admirable Bix Beiderbecke series” – Scott Yanow, “Los Angeles Jazz Scene.”
“Wow! What a masterpiece!” – Barry Cobb, West Midlands, United Kingdom
“…This program is a delight; the material is exceptional, the flow from one to another just wonderful.” – Lon Armstrong
“I am absolutely delighted with it!” – Richard Warner, England.
“…a masterpiece of musicology,” – Denis Baggi, Switzerland
1) Ol’ Man River (Paul Whiteman & his Orchestra) (alternate take)
2) Futuristic Rhythm (Frankie Trumbauer & his Orchestra) (alternate take)
3) Raisin’ the Roof (Frankie Trumbauer & his Orchestra) (alternate take)
4) Manhattan Rag (Frankie Trumbauer & his Orchestra)
5) Davenport Blues (Charleston Chasers)
6) Indiana (Red Nichols & his Five Pennies)
7) Blue (Bennie Goodman’s Boys)
8) Since You Went Away (The Hotsy Totsy Gang)
9) Add a Little Wiggle (All Star Orchestra)
10) There’s a Rainbow ‘Round My Shoulder (McKinney’s Cotton Pickers)
11) Cradle of Love (Ray Miller & his Orchestra)
12) Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael & his Pals)
13) So Tired (Royal Peacock Orchestra)
14) My Blackbirds are Bluebirds Now (Jean Goldkette & his Orchestra)
15) Original Chinese Blues (Boyd Senter & his Senterpedes)
16) Before the Rain (Hal Kemp & his Orchestra)
17) Allah’s Holiday (Night Club Kings)
18) Singin’ the Blues (Fletcher Henderson & his Orchestra)
19) Kissin’ My Baby Goodnight (Duke Ellington & his Famous Orchestra)
20) In a Mist (Red Norvo)
21) Sweet Sue – Just You (Bing Crosby)
22) Singin’ the Blues (Marion Harris)
23) Dream Child (Carl Webster’s Collegians)
24) Keko (Andrew Aiona’s Novelty Four)
25) Small Fry (Adrian Rollini’s Quintet)
26) Embraceable You (Bobby Hackett & his Orchestra)
There are no reviews yet.